There is an Abundance of IRS Non Filers & Unfiled Tax Returns

 Non Filers or Unfiled Tax Returns

In the eyes of the IRS non-filers of taxes is a serious offense. & may cause you to have your stimulus check to be delayed until non filed taxes are filed.

IRS Non Filers

You create BIG tax problems when you are one of the many IRS non-filers and have unfiled or delinquent tax returns (don’t submit your income tax returns with the IRS).

People think that you need a tax attorney to solve your back taxes, but a tax professional like a CPA can help with your tax issues.

It’s not hard to get behind on your taxes and have a tax problem.

Perhaps there was a death in the family or you suffered a serious illness.

Whatever the reason, once you haven’t filed for several years, it can be tempting to continue letting it go.

However, not filing taxes for 10 years or more exposes you to owing steep penalties and a potential prison term.

There’s No Time Limit on the Collection of Taxes For Non Filers

If you are one of the millions of non filers and have old, unfiled tax returns, it may be tempting to believe that the IRS or state tax agency has forgotten about you. However, you may still be on the hook 10 years later. If you don't file and owe taxes, the IRS has no time limit on collecting taxes, penalties, and interest for each year you did not file. It’s only after you file your taxes that the IRS has a 10-year time limit to collect monies owed.


What If You Don’t File Voluntarily Substitute Return

If are fit in the classification of non filers and you fail to file, the IRS may file a substitute return for you. The Internal Revenue Service utilizes income that has been reported to them, like wages, interest income, subcontractor payments sale of property and so on. The IRS then presumes you are single, have no dependents, and make use of the standard deduction. A Notice of Deficiency CP3219N (90-day letter) will be sent proposing a tax assessment.


You will have 90 days to file your past-due tax return or file a petition in Tax Court. If no action is taken on your part, the IRS will proceed with a proposed assessment. If the IRS files a substitute return, it is still in your best interest to file your own tax return to take advantage of any exemptions, credits, and deductions you are entitled to receive. The IRS will generally adjust your account to reflect the correct figures.


Collection and Enforcement Actions for Non Filers

The return the IRS prepares for you (proposed assessment) will lead to a tax bill, which, if unpaid, will trigger the collection process. This can include such actions as a levy on your wages or bank account or the filing of a notice of federal tax lien. If you repeatedly do not file, you could be subject to additional enforcement measures, such as additional penalties and/or criminal prosecution.

How to file back taxes for multiple years

Here are three steps to follow:

  1. Gather prior-year documents. You'll need tax documents for the year you're filing your tax return for (e.g., you'll need your W-2, 1099s, or other documents from 2018 if you're filing your 2018 tax return). If you don't have those documents, you can request a tax transcript from the IRS for that year (here's how to do that). Although you won't get exact photocopies of the documents, you'll get the information contained in those documents, which is what you'll need to get your return done.

  2. Use the right year's tax forms. Don't file a 2018 tax return using 2020 tax forms. Tax rules and tax forms are different every year. (Here are some important tax forms to know.)

  3. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Tax rules change every year, and you'll need to ensure you're applying the right rules to the right year. Good news: Many tax software packages allow you to file prior-year tax returns.


A taxpayer who has unfiled tax returns is called a nonfiler. The act of not filing one’s tax returns is a crime. You can possibly face imprisonment for a length of time proportional to each year of the unfiled tax return.

While the IRS does not put a bulk of taxpayers in jail or monetary fines ($25,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations) for failing to file tax returns, it is not a valid excuse to make this mistake.

Even if you have not received any notifications from the IRS, do note that they will catch up with you sooner or later.

Speak to Keith Jones, CPA TheCPATaxProblemSolver about IRS Tax Debt Relief. Contact Us TODAY & Sleep Much Better TONIGHT!

TOLL FREE (844) 888-1040

Please enter your name.
Please enter a message.


Offer in Compromise
Payroll Tax Debt
Wage Garnishment
Tax Lien Removal
Delinquent Taxes
IRS Transcript Analysis
Currently Not Collectible
IRS Audit Representation
Tax Debt Relief
Back Taxes Help
Unfilled Tax Returns
IRS Tax Levy
Penalty Abatement
IRS Instalment Agreement
Innocent Spouse Relief
Collection Statute Expiration
cpa to help with back taxes
honest tax relief
back taxes help near me
tax cpa near me

34990 Emerald Coast Pkwy Suite 317, Destin, FL 32541

Keith Jones CPA Destin Florida Map Directions

14333 Beach Blvd Suite 33, Jacksonville, FL 32250

Keith Jones CPA Jacksonville Florida Map Directions

6277 A1A S, Suite 102 Office Three, St. Augustine, FL 32080

Keith Jones CPA St Augustine Florida Map Directions